Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Wild Wings Cafe - YUCK!

This is a new wing joint to the Durham area, that just opened up a few weeks ago. Since it was a new place, they were playing lots of radio ads. After hearing so many, I decided I'd give them a try, and I set my expectations high. What a let down.

Since the place was so new, I think everyone in North Carolina decided to show up. We got there, and had to wait 45 minutes. Not a big deal, as I somewhat expected a wait.

We sit, order our food and drinks, and wait...and wait....and wait. FINALLY, over 30 minutes later, we get our food....or some of it anyway. While they were on their way delivering, they dropped (as in, on the floor), half the order. Ten to fifteen minutes later, I finally had ALL of my order.

As usual, I ordered (the hottest) wings. One of my buddies ordered a burger, another ordered wings, and my wife got the Terriaki chicken platter.

The two of us that got wings, hated them. Chicken was dry, maybe a hair overcooked, and just plain not good. The other guy that got wings, said there was just a dusting of sauce on them. Barely enough to even taste. He then dips them in blue cheese dressing to give them some sort of flavor, only to find out that was crap as well. The sauce on my wings, well, there wasn't enough...or more like, it was just dry. What sauce WAS on my wings, was not the tastiest of sauces I've had. BWW and QS&L both have a better taste BY FAR. The one thing I can say about the WWC HOT wing sauce is that it is the absolute, without a doubt, the hottest sauce I've ever had in my life. Had the actual taste, quality, etc, been better, it would have been GREAT....but not a chance.

I think this place had the worst wings that I've ever had in my life. I've had wings that were more overcooked, or drier, or had a worse taste, but never everything all combined on one wing.

The burger that the third guy got, he said was pretty good. Didn't get any more info out of him that that.

My wife said her food was good!

I got a desert as well...Chocolate cake with hot fudge on it. It was "ok". No more, no less...just ok. The wife thought the same.

The setting of the place, I didn't care for. They had a band in there when we got there (at 7), but when we left, they still hadn't played anything (at almost 10). They did manage to strum their guitars, but no music came out. The entire place was extremely L O U D. Not like most sports bars are, but MUCH louder. Almost like it's a club....with crappy food....and music. I didn't care for it at all.

Overall, this place gets a 5 out of 10. I didn't die from eating the food, and two of the people liked it. It was to loud tho, with crap for food (wings anyway....this IS a wing joint afterall), and a band that didn't know how to play music, but managed to be "loud". If in 6 months (when the novelty of the place has worn off) I happen to be in the area, and just so happen to be hungry, and everything else is closed down except them, I MIGHT try them out again....maybe. Don't hold your breath for a new review on them.

No comments: