Sunday, July 18, 2010

East Coast Wings

It's been a while guys. Since I last posted, I've sold my bike, bought a boat, sold it and bought another bike, sold it and bought a quad, and finally back on a bike again. Back on another 2007 SV1000S actually. Not setup exactly like my old one, but close enough for now.

Anyway, I at at ECW on 2 different occasions, at 2 different locations.

ECW #1:
Location: Winston Salem, march-ish 2009

This place was pretty darn good. It was located in a strip mall in Winston Salem, and appeared to be a fairly new location.

I got there with my wife, and a few friends. We were promptly seated, gave our drink orders, and I then ordered up some wings (as an appetizer), and a burger. As always, I ordered the hottest wings they have....Insanity I think they're called. This was another one of those "You have to sign a waiver" kinda deals. I've had to do that before at Quaker Steak and Lube, but I always thought it was just a novelty kind of thing. NOT at this place. I've never had wings so hot I couldn't eat half a dozen of them with ease. Absolutely not the case here. These wings were PAINFULLY hot. All I could do was 3 of them. After those 3, I went outside in the cold trying to make my mouth cool down, splashed cold water on my face, drank everything the waitress would bring me, etc. Nothing helped. On top of that, it had my stomach in knots the rest of the day. FInally! A place that makes wings so hot that *I* couldn't eat them!!! I was impressed! :D Aside from being extremely hot, they were actually very good. Had a good flavor, and weren't overcooked!

Onto the burger I ordered. This was quite possibly one of the best burgers I've ever had in my life! Very tasty! Cooked how I wanted it (well done), but not burnt at all!

The service here was pretty good as well. Waitress was prompt seating us, taking our drink order, taking our food orders, and never let my drink run empty! I thought I had found a new favorite wing joint, until...

ECW #2 - Winston Salem, July 2010

This ECW, as I said earlier, was a different ECW than the one above. Complete opposite experience from the one above as well.

We pull up to this old looking building that looked a little run down on the outside. We walk in, and while it doesn't look run down on the inside, the place is tiny. There might have been 15 tables to sit at.

Once we get inside, we wait for a hostess to seat us like the last ECW did. When some of the staff looked at us like we were stupid for standing there, we sat ourselves. Keep in mind, this place was dead when we got there. There was one other person eating when we got there, and maybe 3 or so employee's that I saw out front.

Several minutes later, a waitress gives us menus and takes a drink order. Several minutes after that (10ish?) we get our drinks and she takes our food order. Probably 25 minutes later, we get our food. In the mean time, another group of people have been seated, ordered and received their food, finished eating, and left about 5 minutes after we got out food.

The food. Ugh. I forgot how my wife liked hers, but mine was pretty....eh. I ordered a steak & cheese sandwhich and fries. The bread was stale, the meat was dry, and the half a slice of cheese wasn't enough. At best, I'd call the food below average. I can't really say anything good about it.

The service....well, it was below average as well. I can't remember the exact location of this one, but I can assure you I'll never stop by it again. Absolutely nothing good about this place. Food sucked, service sucked, atmosphere sucked....it all sucked!

ECW #1, I'd rate at around a 9.5. ECW #2 gets a rating of about 3. Only reason I'm rating #2 that high is because it didn't make me sick, and I did actually recieve food and a drink.

No comments: